Neymar, Barcelona and Santos will stand trial on fraud and corruption charges over the transfer of the Brazilian forward after their appeals were turned down by Spain's High Court on Monday. Neymar's mother Nadine Goncalves and their family company N&N also had appeals rejected.

Prosecutors are seeking a two-year prison sentence and a fine of nearly $10 million for Neymar and his father on corruption charges, although they are not likely to face any jail time if found guilty because they would be first-time offenders.Prosecutors are also seeking a fine of about $9m from Barcelona and $7m from Santos.

The case was brought forward by Brazilian supermarket firm DIS, which claims it is due a 40 per cent cut of the fee Barcelona paid to sign the attacker in 2013, though it says it has not received in full.

The High Court said in a statement that

"Santos FC, Barcelona FC, Neymar, his mother Nadine Goncalves and N&N, the family company, have lost their appeals to have charges of fraud and corruption dropped,"

The Brazilian's move to La Liga has brought immense controversy to the club due to uncertainty surrounding how much the club paid for him, with Neymar, his father, former president Sandro Rosell and current chief Josep Maria Bartomeu all implicated in the charges.

Investigations were carried out in Spain and Brazil into whether any part of Neymar's transfer fee had been concealed when he made the move from Brazil to Spain. It is the latest step in a complicated case for the 25-year-old that has been dragging on since his move in 2013, but the forward’s performances on the field have not been greatly affected. He has won two Liga titles, the Champions League and Club World Cup during his time at the Catalan side, while he has scored 10 and set up 14 in all competitions this season.