The Merseyside Police have confirmed that they are investigating CCTV video footage from a local bar in Liverpool which shows Everton midfielder, Ross Barkley being punched repeatedly in the early hours of Monday morning.

Barkley, who had been very impressive in Everton’s highly entertaining 4-2 win over Premier League holders, Leicester City at Goodison Park on Sunday, was pictured in CCTV footage having a heated conversation with some unidentified man.

However, things got uglier and within moments the unidentified man was seen knocking the 23-year-old midfielder to the ground after punching him badly in the side of his face before being dragged away by the locals.

Barkley's lawyer Matt Himsworth, managing director of Himsworths Legal, said:

"We can confirm Ross was the victim of an unprovoked attack by a stranger who approached him on Sunday evening."

According to reports, the attack is said to have happened in the Santa Chupitos cocktail bar in Liverpool city centre.

Everton have yet to respond for comment but Merseyside Police said they were looking into the matter.

In a statement, they said: 

“Merseyside Police is aware of footage online reportedly showing an assault in a bar in Liverpool city centre. No report of an assault has been received but officers are making enquiries to establish the circumstances of the incident.”

Barkley, who is out of contract at Everton at the end of next season, faces an uncertain future at the club, with Spurs among those interested in signing the player.

He did not feature for England last month, despite being named in Gareth Southgate's squad, and criticised for his poor performance in the recent 3-1 Merseyside derby defeat by Liverpool at Anfield but he impressed against Leicester and set up Romelu Lukaku for a goal with an inviting cross.

Everton manager Ronald Koeman said Barkley will have to be sold if he does not sign a new contract this summer.